The following video demonstrates my process when dictating/transcribing a melody in a small number of hearings:
- Get oriented to tonic, mode, meter, counting pulse.
- Memorize as much as possible.
- Transcribe what I remember after the first hearing before I forget it (usually beginning and end).
- Note any repetition patterns that can make it easier to figure the rest of the melody.
- Listen again, and try to memorize the whole thing.
- Transcribe everything I remember.
- Repeat the last two steps as necessary.
- Use one last listening to check for errors, paying special attention to rhythm, durations, and rests.